WEEK FIVE REFLECTIONS: PRESENTING LEARNING
As quoted by Jean Piaget, “the principal goal of education is to create men and women who are capable of doing new things, not simply repeating what other generations have done; men and women who are creative, inventive and discoverers, who can be critical” (Piaget, 1953).
In education settings, presentation programs and software use digital media to present and demonstrate learning, in integrative and stimulating styles (Hobdell, 2021). During this past week I made concerted efforts to delve into the manner in which learning is best presented to contemporary learners. The abundance of technology apps, programs and software and their features are still tremendously overwhelming, however through my expanded use of a few programs, I see their increasing value in the classroom.
PowerPoint:
Subconsciously (I think), I went directly to the safe and standard PowerPoint. I confess… I love PowerPoint!
(Source: Roberts, 2015).
Students would occasionally create slideshow presentations
to display their own learning, however they hadn’t been exposed to the modelling
of remarkable PowerPoint use, and therefore weren’t proficient in its many functions.
Microsoft has developed and improved PowerPoint's features and functions substantially, which now offers teachers and students a fantastic platform to create and share learning, in creative and exciting ways! Given that I’d used PowerPoint a great deal already, I opted to try something new.
Easel.ly:
After briefly looking at Easel.ly last week, I wanted to explore it further with the intention to design an infographic that a Geography student may create in my future class. As shown below, this is a basic infographic I designed for a unit loosely based on Geographies of Interconnections (ACARA, 2021).
When using a free, basic account, there is still
a considerable amount that teachers and students can do with this program. There are pre-created templates
available, however they are theme-specific. Images, text and backgrounds can be
changed on these templates yet in my investigations, I found the empty template
simpler to use when creating a basic infographic such as the one above.
Easel.ly welcome and new creation screen:
Some images, icons, photos and animations can be chosen from the program although there are not many; it is possible to upload images to the program, giving more access to more options.
With an upgraded “Pro” account for $4 per month, additional features are extensive:
In summary, Easel.ly's
infographic creation software allows teachers and students the ability
to display data, research and learning in concise, interesting and creative
ways. The program is very easy to use and contributes to students’ increasing their
digital literacies.
Prezi:
Prezi is the ultimate presentation tool! The program has immeasurable
design options, but most recognisably, a zoom navigation and a slide-less
design model.
In order to use Prezi, students must be over 13 years of age, which makes it suitable for Years 9 to 12. Prezi can be accessed with a free account, however with premium accounts, unlocked features offer: privacy control, unlimited projects, charts and visualised data, desktop application for offline work, 'Export to PDF', PowerPoint converter, premium images and icons, portable presentations, advanced presenter tools and media upload.
Once logged in, the program asks if the user is
a student or teacher, accompanied by many options outside of education; once selected,
Prezi offers multiple options to begin the presentations. Prezi presentations
allows users to create posters, slides, social media posts, reports,
infographics, interactive maps, banners, book reports, general projects, just
to name a few. Let’s look at some of Prezi’s fantastic features…
Overall, Prezi is a
fantastic tool for teachers and students to engage digital literacy skills
whilst meeting school curriculum requirements. Prezi has a decorated array of
technological options to allow the user space to create their very own interactive,
professional presentation, from either a blank canvas, or pre-existing template.
Prezi can be used individually or collaboratively, together with Live Prezi
options, amongst many others. Each component of Prezi allows for specific
customisation of presentations and its functionality is operational within
minutes of engaging with the software. The only challenge I encounter is how
sensitive the program is to edit and modify; editing can be frustrating when making
minor adjustments, however this issue is a shadow compared to the benefits that
Prezi offers.
SAMR:
LINK: Mrs Stewart's SAMR Prezi
Australian Curriculum,
Assessment and Reporting Authority [ACARA], (n.d.). Geography. Retrieved
from https://australiancurriculum.edu.au/f-10-curriculum/humanities-and-social-sciences/geography/
Hobdell, G. (2021). Week
5. Digital Tools 3 – Integrating Learning. Moodle learning materials.
EDSE12024: Digital Pedagogies in Secondary Schools, CQUniversity e-units.
Retrieved from https://moodle.cqu.edu.au/mod/book/view.php?id=1412194
Piaget, J. (1953). The
Origins of Intelligence in Children. Retrieved from https://www.famouspsychologists.org/jean-piaget/
Roberts, D. (2015). Life
after death by PowerPoint [online image]. Retrieved from https://inspiringsocsci.pressbooks.com/chapter/life-after-death-by-powerpoint/








Hey Bec.
ReplyDeleteAnother fantastic read! Thank you for sharing. I think many of us automatically went to PowerPoint to stick in our comfort zone but I'm glad you have explored a little deeper. I agree that PowerPoint has been flogged and over my first 3 placements in this degree, about 80% of the PowerPoint presentations I've seen have not been engaging.
I love that you have not only discussed Prezi, but you have used it to successfully link to the SAMR model.
If anything, I think it would have been good to touch on how students could use Easel.ly and Prezi to complete (or support) their assessment.
Well done again on creating such a eye catching blog.
Cheers,
Tom.
Hi Again Bec,
ReplyDeleteYou have posted another wonderful blog! I love the creativity involved. I completely agree with your statement PowerPoint is definitely a go to, for most of us. During my practical experiences all I ever saw presentation wise was Powerpoints! Not in any detail not even a slide transition effect or anything.
I really enjoyed how you have added depth of online presentations by examining PowerPoint, Easel.ly and Prezi. My favourite aspect is your Geography Infographic. I like how it uses a range of colours, images and text sizes to engage the reader. You have also done an amazing job linking a Prezi presentation into your blog. This portrays your ability to not just examine one but several online digital presentation resources in detail.
My recommendation would be to expand on your discussion of PowerPoint and Easel.ly in more detail linking the connection to the impact in classrooms. You have done this well with Prezi.
Overall, well done Bec you have created a wonderful blog post very pleasant to read.
Thank you,
Bari