WEEK ONE REFLECTIONS: WHO IS THE CONTEMPORARY LEARNER?
How will the characteristics of our Gen Z learners depicted in the Meet GenZ video define their engagement in the traditional classroom snippet?
Student engagement would be completely absent if
Gen Z learners were placed in a traditional classroom with Mr. Lorensax at the
helm (perhaps this was another motive for Ferris to take the day off). Our
modern Gen Z learners would immediately disengage from this type of instruction
as it is meaningless, irrelevant and dull, almost certainly inciting
restlessness and the escalation of behaviour issues. Side note: I feel
extremely guilty referring to Mr. Lorensax as I just have; this film is one of
my favourites, and his role albeit minor, a pivotal one!
Referring to the ideas presented by Willis and Robinson, is this
level of creativity in evidence in the schools you have attended, both as a
student, and as a preservice teacher? Furthermore, is this level of creativity
in evidence in your University units? As secondary pre-service teaching
students, you will experience a variety of approaches to teaching, learning and
course design in your discipline studies. Why were your previous studies
presented in that particular way? How could they have been presented?
How good is Sir Ken?! I just love him! I digress…
Naturally there are sensational teachers willing to foster creativity in
most schools, however from my personal experience this is rare. I only recall
one teacher, and unsurprisingly she was a drama teacher, whom encouraged and
promoted creativity amongst students. She herself was eclectic, eccentric,
outspoken and unashamedly herself; as a shy teenager with very low self-esteem,
her class was a space I could truly get creative.
Working in learning support in a high school, I witnessed several
fantastic educators teaching creatively themselves, in turn stimulating
inspiration in their students, and they were WONDERFUL to watch! It is these
teachers who truly believe in Gen Z learners as the leaders of our digital
future, and quality modern education itself. There were teachers in this school
who’d been teaching for 40+ years, but some only for 1+ years, and in these
classes I witnessed the most disconnection of students, and honestly, it was
terribly disheartening to watch. The older teachers appeared exhausted and
well-ready for retirement, and if I’m being completely honest, the younger
teachers often declared the old “I wanted to be a teacher because I
like the subject and how good are the holidays?!” attitude.
I also believe schools’ socioeconomic statuses can greatly affect the
presence/level/frequency of creative encouragement of students. This school was
part of a low socioeconomic area, where technology was very minimal and
reserved for the completion of assessment tasks, and Digital Technology and
Manual Arts classes; many students didn’t have a pencil or notebook, nor a
computer.
As I have worked through my course a little differently than the norm, I
am excited that I can get creative in the core units. Admittedly, the teaching
styles and units themselves in my discipline minors are more traditional than
expected.
What do you think the implications are of a curriculum that is linear,
progressive, aimed at a single learning outcome for the development of both
individuals and the society we live in?
To me, progressive equates to a dynamic and
revolutionary idea, which does not correspond with a lineal curriculum. A
lineal curriculum and the teaching style that corresponds with the focus on a
single learning outcome, is outdated, inflexible, and lacks a creative approach
vital for an inclusive, contemporary classroom, and in turn, modern society.
How can ICTs help you in the development of a professional learning
network? How are you feeling about this?
The effective use of
ICTs will provide access to lesson-planning and educational content resources,
support the organisation of information and assist with administrative responsibilities,
whilst allowing a professional learning network with peers and professional
developers to grow across multiple channels. This presents me the opportunity
to grow both professionally and personally, as I know I have a lot to learn in
this area, which can only enhance and improve my teaching, right?! (Insert
excited emoji here). (Someone from Gen Z will need to teach me how to do that
on a standard Windows PC). (Now insert wink emoji here).
Thanks for
stopping by!
- Bec

Hi Bec, thank you for sharing your thoughts on Gen z and how we as educators in the 21st century need to be on our digital game. I think that like me you have a few years of life experience under your belt ( I didn't want to call you old!) and see contemporary classrooms as a very different place to how they used to be. Your blog looks appealing in it's layout and your writing is engaging and relevant, I think your use of humor works well and shows that you would make your lessons both interesting and fun. I removed the questions on my pages to make it more personal and less repetitive, just a suggestion for your page. Well done Bec, I look forward to following your progress in this unit.
ReplyDeleteDaniel