WEEK THREE REFLECTIONS: WEB SPACES
After launching my first blog,
I dove head first into a dark tunnel of settings, themes, layouts, fonts… the list
goes on! I became obsessed with the fonts being uniform, and spent HOURS on multiple
features and settings. I’ve not created a blog, website, wiki, or anything of
the like before, so this was fun, new territory for me.
I have created a blog (exhibit
A – you’re reading it) and I find it easy to operate. I have created
a web page; at the least, it exists. I admit to having little success in the
website sphere as I don’t seem to have the pre-existing knowledge of widgets
and gadgets, and side note, I’m not actually certain these words truly describe
something to do with my website. Personally, this website construction task is
a tough one, however I am excited and willing to learn! I believe this digital
knowledge will allow me to construct and participate in valuable web spaces for
my students, contributing to a collaborative, learner-centered, FUN education, yet
realistically, my current ability needs to catch up (and quickly) with my evolving
beliefs and intentions.
I recently explored a concept
mapping program and lo and behold, this Gen X/Gen Y-member created a map of
sorts, to elucidate some features of websites, blogs
and wikis. Now don’t get too excited… upon finishing my experiment,
I realised that saving the project as a slideshow presentation was not an
option. Therefore, please follow these simple steps:
1.
Click on this link
Features of Websites, blogs and wikis.
2. As per this image I so expertly screenshotted and cropped, you must then click on the button shown.
3. Please use →
arrow to scroll through the presentation.
Note: Clearly this is a lesson
in itself, repeat after me – *I will avoid spending two hours on a program before
confirming that it will do what I need it to do*.
Online education provides students
an autonomous, accessible learning space, whilst allowing opportunities to
develop higher-order thinking skills and digital literacies, contextual skills
that will benefit their higher education and assist in carving out careers. It
can also offer learning in an opposing sense; in how to think laterally and
creatively when technology fails. Developing the ability to adapt is particularly
important in a digital world due to modern civilisation’s reliance on technology.
Blogs e.g.
Blogger, WordPress, Edublogs etc.
Upon launching my blog, I went
through what felt like every setting on offer. Blogger’s settings allow for the
publisher’s choice of page layout, display themes, fonts (as I previously admitted
to being obsessed over) and colours, basic word processing settings, privacy
and publishing settings, language, plus many more.
I am currently the only person with the ability to publish posts on the blog due to this being my preferred privacy setting, however invites can be sent to others inviting them to contribute to the blog.
Readers can comment on posts
however as the blog owner, and I am able to reply to the comments. Videos and
images can be uploaded to blog posts; files can be uploaded from device folders,
or YouTube clips can be uploaded by searching for the required video.
Links to websites can be added
into blog posts by selecting this symbol
and by selecting this option
authors can preview blog
posts prior to publishing, to confirm that all files and links have been formatted
and inserted correctly.
I find
the blogging web space the simplest and most user-friendly site to operate. I
can design my blog to suit my personality, and update it regularly with posts
related to my journey into the foray of teaching and education. As a blogging
teacher, I can envision this type of web space being valuable in connecting
students with their classroom, in a safe yet fun way!
Legal, ethical and safety aspects to consider.
The safety and welfare of students is paramount therefore student wellbeing must be of the utmost importance. Although Education Queensland and schools themselves implement extensive procedures, systems and restrictions to provide safe online learning spaces for schools, students must be taught correct protocols related to navigating the web safely. In addition to online safety, legal and ethical disputes can arise if students use the work of others without appropriate referencing, hence teachers must communicate the seriousness of bibliographic knowledge and understanding to students. This information and the expectations on students when using technology can be found here at the ACARA website.
In a singing voice... SAMR SAMR SAMR SAMR SAMR Chameleon.
Chameleons transform themselves, just as the SAMR Model contributes to the transformation of education. Get it? Culture Club? Boy George? See what I did there...
The SAMR Model enables teachers to incorporate digital technology into the classroom; utilising ICTs allows for transformational and meaningful education.
In a junior Geography class, a
learning experience adapted with the SAMR model may transpire as follows:
SUBSTITUTION:
·
Worksheets handed
out to students comprising questions about the geographical features of a particular
place, with research prompts and specified list of websites to conduct
research.
·
Students to document
answers and findings in Word.
·
Students to print
out research and turn in to teacher.
AUGMENTATION:
·
Worksheet is
created by teacher and uploaded to Microsoft Teams.
·
Students to access
uploaded worksheet on Microsoft Teams, and conduct independent research using
Google Earth.
·
Students to create
a map of their location’s geographical features, using Google Maps.
·
Individual Google
Map links to be emailed to the teacher.
·
Student-created map,
in addition to geographical research, to be created in software such as
PowerPoint, Google Slides, Prezi etc. and presented to the class.
REDEFINITION:
·
Small groups of
students to start a wiki page to compile and succinct their research.
· Groups to create a multimodal presentation for a tourism campaign using software such as Vimeo etc.
If you have any feedback for me, I'd really love to hear it, particularly... did the link for the concept map work for you, and was it somewhat simple to follow the directions once the map opened (if it did actually open)?!
Thanks for stopping by! :)
References:
Briley, R. L. (2015). Karma Chameleon, sans Boy George and Culture Club [blog post]. Retrieved from https://brileyrebecca.wordpress.com/2015/07/20/karma-chameleon-sans-boy-george-and-culture-club/
Puentedura, R. (2014). SAMR and Bloom's Taxonomy: Assembling the puzzle. Retrieved from https://www.commonsense.org/education/articles/samr-and-blooms-taxonomy-assembling-the-puzzle







Hi Bec,
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, WOW! You have done a remarkable job in setting up this blog and the mind map resource you created is great! I can see you are well on your way to producing a fantastic analysis of digital web spaces and that with further development as the unit continues, you will produce a great result. Keep up the good work in providing relevant details to education and how this would be 'seen' in the classroom. I have also updated my blog myself and would love for you to take a look at mine also. If you would be interested my email is hannah.adamson@cqumail.com.
Good work!
Hannah :)
Here is the link if that helps - https://hannahadamson01.wixsite.com/my-site/post/web-spaces
Delete:)
Hi Hannah,
DeleteThank you so much for your feedback, and encouragement! I constantly question what I'm doing in this unit, so it's comforting to know that you liked it.
Thanks again!
- Bec :)
Hey Rebecca,
ReplyDeleteWOW! Where to begin... this blog is extremely well formatted and written. I think the utilisation of both a personable and informative tone promote engagement with your blog. The blog post itself goes into extensive detail on the required reflection details. Additionally the created mind map assists with the direction of the blog, alongside displaying your ability to utilise web spaces. Congratulations on a successful reflection post!
Also, I noticed we have the same learning areas, so if you would be interested I would love some honest feedback on my blog post - No pressure! (This is the link if you wanted to check it out https://chelseasdigitalpedagogies.blogspot.com) Thanks!
Hi Chelsea,
DeleteThanks so much for the feedback - I really appreciate it! I admit, after just a couple of weeks since this blog post, and investigating the technology we've gone over in these past 2 weeks, the mind map I made seems to pale in comparison lol... but that's what we're here for yeah?! Again, thanks for your time Chelsea.
Take care!
- Bec :)
Hey Bec,
ReplyDeleteLovely job with your blog post, it was such a pleasant read.
I love your personal touch to communication it definitely adds emphasis to read. You have also used a diverse range of digital media throughout your blog clearly demonstrating your developing ICT skills. My favourite part of your blog is the concept mapping. To add to this, you have clear and concise instructions for your readers for those (like me) that struggle with ICT skills, I needed them!
The first suggestion I have is to emphasise the importance of the safety, legal and ethical protocols to the audience by referring to the Australian Curriculum or the Queensland Government Safety site. You could even embed a link to these to demonstrate your developing ICT skills.
The second suggestion I have would be to add titles such as bigger fonts and bolder texts for each section of the blog. It would grab the reader's attention and further maintain their engagement.
Overall, Bec you have constructed and published a wonderful blog post and it is very creative. I look forward to reading your next post. Well done.
Kind Regards,
Bari
Hey Bari,
DeleteThank you so much for the constructive feedback! I'm very grateful for your insights. It was really useful feedback and I've already made some amendments to my post, and can even see changes in the next post that I will make. Thank you again for your input!
Good luck with it all!
- Bec :)
Hi Bec, this is another educational and entertaining blog entry, I am enjoying your journey as it is similar to mine. Your writing is well structured and sequenced and you are starting to master the applications available. I would look at reformatting the link to your Lucidspark presentation and get rid of the whole address and replace it with a more concise title. Your SAMR example is well thought out and clearly explained, I think this is a great tool for student engagement. I would suggest going to the ACARA site and looking at ICT capabilities, it helped put the importance of some issues into perspective.
ReplyDeleteI am sure that like me, the more you go through this unit, the more amazing resources you will discover to enhance your classroom.
Well done
Hey Dan,
DeleteWell, I had no idea that I could even change the link to a title from an address - thank you! And I was able to jump onto ACARA and check out the ICT capabilities, not only the general capabilities, but the specificities for my subject areas. YOU ARE A LEGEND! THANK YOU! I really appreciate your feedback and help Dan!
- Bec :)
Hey Bec.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you dove into the deep world of layouts, themes, fonts and settings, because what you have delivered is great. Not only is your blog engaging, it also has great links to the SAMR model. Well done on making a clear connection to how this would play out in the classroom.
I really look forward to reading your future posts.
Thanks,
Tom.
Hi Tom,
DeleteThanks so much for taking the time to give me some feedback and encouragement. I really appreciate it! The more I learn in this unit the more I think my SAMR model could be better, so here's hoping that's the case! Good luck with everything Tom!
- Bec :)