WEEK ONE REFLECTIONS: ME AS A CONTEMPORARY TEACHER.
To what extent is it reasonable to conclude that if you are not
experiencing positive or negative emotions about the materials and activities
in any learning experience, that you are potentially disinterested or not
motivated? Discuss in relation to your first emotional response to the nature
of this unit.
I don’t believe the absence of positive or negative
emotions regarding course materials equates to disinterest or a lack of
motivation. My initial response to this unit was one of being overwhelmed and
slightly anxious regarding the study-work-life balance, however I do feel
positive about the unit! I am passionate about high-quality education, and this
unit will help evolve my teacher toolbelt!
Elaborate on your emotions on engaging further with this unit? Positive,
negative. Indifferent?
I’m feeling really positive about this unit! After
working in a high school as a teacher’s aide, I was provided the opportunity to
observe teachers who were resistant to the use of digital pedagogies, and saw
the negative effects this had on student engagement and subsequent outcomes.
The classrooms where technology was positively utilised showcased a very
different experience for students and teachers.
To what extent do you have the commitment to actively interrogate your
emotions, and your beliefs about creative pedagogy that extends beyond the mere
delivery of information to your learners?
A bit of self-reflection never hurt anyone! I want to learn, grow and
develop my understanding, knowledge and skills in this field as I have seen the
positive effects that digitally-differentiated pedagogies can have with
students.
Identify your present values and beliefs about ICT in the classroom.
ICT in classrooms in a capacity that connects students with each other
and their teachers, increases their incentive to learn, and fosters positive
outcomes, by any means, is my idea of meaningful education. When ICT is allowed
in classrooms in a manner that I feel disconnects students from each other and
their learning, such as using mobile phones to pass time on apps like snapchat
and tiktok, I believe technology becomes a disadvantage. I believe in the
positive effects of meaningful interpersonal relationships with others! And I
admit to being concerned about young people being highly-addicted to the
instant gratification of some aspects of technology, and, randomly, the spinal
postures of a lot of teenagers! Okay, not so brief… apologies!
Your approach to teaching and learning.
Build strong relationships! Remain open-minded, and continually learn
whilst I’m teaching. Inclusive, differentiated and personalised education. FUN!
Identify any challenges to the early challenges to your values and
beliefs as you enter this unit?
I find this question slightly confusing, so I’m
going to pretend it’s asking what challenges may arise pertaining to my current
values and beliefs surrounding this unit… perhaps that my “old-school”
relationships-based values are outdated, and that the increased use of mobile
phones in classrooms is “just the way it is” and I simply need to get used to
it.
What experience do you have with ICT in the classroom?
During my school years my ICT experience extended to the infrequent use
of a word-processing program, the occasional use of the super high-tech overhead projector (for you youngsters who have no idea what I'm talking about, please see image above), playing Solitaire and if I was lucky, Tetris (a
game that positively transformed my dishwasher/suitcase-packing skills).
Whilst working as a high school teacher’s aide, I experienced ICT in
limited ways:
- PowerPoint slideshows and YouTube videos
were used by most teachers on whiteboard projectors, however not all; PowerPoint slides
were often generic, bland and not-engaging.
- Word and Excel were used to complete
activities and assessments.
- Minecraft Education would be allowed if students
finished class work on time.
- Scratch and Python programs for
Digital Technology classes.
- Adobe Photoshop for Media
classes.
- OneSchool.
Thanks for stopping by!
- Bec

Comments
Post a Comment